What an awesome year 2013 was! I can safely say that this year was my most-traveled year of my life thanks to points, miles, and the many friends I’ve met around the world who also share the same hobby. In my 2013 resolutions post, I had stated that I wanted to start tracking and mapping my flights… and the results are in… I’ve taken a total of 90 flights between January 1-December 8, 2013.
In 2013, I’ve been to some pretty amazing places for the first time thanks to mistake fares and fare deals, such as Rio de Janeiro (~$460 round trip), Istanbul ($112 out-of-pocket cost thanks to a $300 bump voucher I received), Tel Aviv (~$300 and change round trip), and Buenos Aires (~$300 round trip). Points and miles have also taken me to great places in premium cabins such as Sydney (Singapore Suites), Tokyo, The Maldives (Etihad Business Class), Dubai (Swiss Business Class), Abu Dhabi, Singapore, Maui, and Munich for Oktoberfest.
Speaking of mistake fares, I also learned a pricey lesson this year when booking a mistake fare to Seychelles.
As far as hotels – I’m grateful to have experienced some of the most sought-after “aspirational” properties in the points and miles world, such as Park Hyatt Tokyo, Park Hyatt Maldives, the Presidential Suite at the Grand Hyatt Istanbul, and the brand new Andaz Maui at Wailea, just to name a few.
I also had a blast interacting with readers and other points and miles enthusiasts at events such as Frequent Traveler University DC, the NordicDO, Chicago Seminars, Frequent Traveler University and the First2Board Seminars.
On a personal level, Mr. Points Traveler and spontaneously planned an incredible destination beach wedding on Grand Cayman Island in just 10 days. 2013 was also the first year that I felt comfortable enough to travel solo. I’ve challenged myself to let go of my fears and explore destinations completely on my own. Over the year, I’ve enriched myself by traveling to places like Honolulu, Las Vegas, and Israel alone.
Here’s What I’ve Earned in Terms of Status For 2013:
Airline: United Premier 1k, Turkish Airlines Gold (acquired through a status match with United to grant me domestic lounge access privileges for 2 years), and American Airlines Platinum (by surprise), and Etihad Guest Gold (acquired via a status match).
Hotel: Club Carlson Concierge (from the NordicDo participation), Hyatt Diamond (set to expire next week, then I will return to Platinum since I am a Hyatt Credit Card holder), Marriott Gold (through the Marriott/United partnership), Starwood Gold (from my American Express Business Platinum card), Hilton HHonors Gold (also from my AmEx Platinum), Kimpton InnerCircle (through a reciprocity match), IHG Platinum (from my IHG Rewards Visa)
The Blog’s 15 Most Popular Posts This Year Are:
- Chase Provides the Best Protection Against Flight Delays or Cancellations
- So You Got An American Express Platinum Card, Now What?
- Rant: Open/Exposed Hotel Bathrooms Create Awkward Situations
- Passenger Got Kicked Off My United Flight for Taking a Picture
- My Experience with Kimpton’s Inner Circle and Why I’m Pursuing It
- Getting to the Caribbean and Mexico with Avios
- My Little Brother is Preparing for His First Real Churn + First Time Churner Advice
- Dad Post: Choosing My Next Value Destination Using the Big Mac Index
- Two Successful Hotel Best Rate Guarantees For Me + BRG Tips and Policies
- Summer Travel From New York to London: 13K Miles and $98
- Free Domestic Lounge Access – How to Status Match with Turkish Airlines
- 10 Things to Know About Park Hyatt Maldives
- I Shattered My Brand New iPhone Not Once, But Twice – Chase Saved Me
- When Booking a Mistake Fare is…um… a Mistake
- Reader Question: How Do I Request a Hyatt Diamond Trial?
And just for fun…
Ridiculous Search Terms That Lead People to This Blog
- do hotels have to supply toilet paper in virginia
- when should a hotel discard a toilet paper roll
- toilet & bath with dessert
- just another points traveler divorced
- united ovulation
- what park does park hyatt tokyo overlook
- sexy girl in bathroom
How did your year look? Have you reached any exciting travel milestones? Would love to hear about it!