We’ve seen this offer come and go several times so far this year. I personally took the plunge and got approved for this exact same offer when it was live earlier in the spring. While Southwest is not my very top preferred airline, I do like the awesome flexibility of having a nice stash of Rapid Rewards points at hand for domestic award bookings. Plus, 50,000 points almost gets you half way to the extremely-valuable Southwest companion pass.
Here are the details of the current offer:
- Limited-Time Offer: Get 50,000 points for 2 Roundtrip Flights after you spend $2,000 in the first 3 months of opening your account. Government fees as low as $10 not included.
- Get 6,000 points every year after your Cardmember Anniversary.
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on Southwest Airlines® and AirTran Airways® purchases made directly with the airlines and on Rapid Rewards Hotel and Car Rental Partner purchases.
- Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Redeem points for gift cards, car rentals, cruises, hotel stays, and international flights to over 800 Destinations on 50+ global carriers.
- No foreign transaction fees
- Annual Fee is $99
My good friend Bonnie (The Frugal Travel Lawyer) is the queen of flying Southwest – in fact she is so passionate about the airline and its loyalty program that she recently presented a super informative session at the First2Board Charleston seminars a few weeks ago. I certainly learned a lot myself!
Now off to Europe I go for NordicDo!