2013 was a great year – 2014 has some serious shoes to fill, but I am confident that the year ahead will be just lovely. With baby points traveler arriving any week now, life will take a different turn in exciting new ways as I adjust to the role of Mommy. While traveling impulsively won’t come as easily at first, the good news is that I’m confident that I’ll be back in the air soon enough (I’m eying April), and baby points traveler certainly will be joining me in the sky sooner than later.
So what’s in store for 2014?
- A Blog Makeover – Yup it’s about time! I’m hoping to roll out a nice revamped layout in the coming weeks.
- Speaking at Sessions – So far I have plans to present at the First2Board seminars in Seattle in August 2014, as well as at the Chicago Seminars in October. My good blogger-friend, Bonnie (Frugal Travel Lawyer), and I are working on a joint presentation that’ll go over strategies to maximize miles and points while traveling impulsively as well as planning ahead. We will compare the ups and downs associated both travel styles, as well as offer secrets and tips to stretch your points and miles no matter what your style is.
- More Reader Meet-Ups – If you follow me on Twitter, you probably already know that I love organizing impromptu get-togethers and casual meet-ups when I’m traveling. There’s nothing more exciting than talking face-to-face with others who also love all things points and miles. Let’s be friends in real life this year, K?
- Award Help – I get tons of email requests from readers asking for help and assistance with planning their dream trips using miles. Soon you will notice a special tab dedicated to award booking.
- Bringing on an Intern – I have a lot of ideas to grow the blog, but of course two heads are better than one. When I was in college, I had some pretty awesome and unique internships that allowed me to work one-on-one with a mentor that I’ve looked up to in exchange for college credit. This year I am looking to do the same and bring on an intern. If you’re a college student looking to learn the ins and outs of travel blogging, then send me a quick email for consideration. College credit can be given if needed.
Status Goals for 2014
- Airline: I’m going to keep it simple this year. Although I am disappointed that there have been so many [negative] changes with United Airlines over the last few months, I can’t exactly change the fact that I am EWR-based, so for now United status is definitely on my radar. Sadly, 2014 will be the only year I can enjoy 1K status because with the PQD-spend requirement now in place, I’ll only be able to qualify for Premier Platinum status for 2015 *if* I spend $25,000 on my United MileagePlus Explorer. I’ll continue to enjoy my Turkish Airlines Gold Status for free domestic lounge access, and I am hoping to achieve at least Gold Status with American Airlines/US Airways, depending on how the merger pans out.
- Hotel: I still can’t say I have much die-hard hotel loyalty, so for 2014, I plan on enjoying my complimentary SPG Gold and Hilton HHonors Gold status (thanks to my American Express Business Platinum Card), Hyatt Platinum Status (thanks to my Hyatt Visa), IHG Platinum Status (thanks to my IHG Rewards Visa), Club Carlson Concierge status, Marriott Gold status (thanks to the United/Marriott partnership), and Kimpton Inner Circle.
What are your personal points and miles goals for the year? Also, what would you like to see on the blog this coming year? I’m looking for all kinds of feedback – what kind of posts do you love? hate? Speak to me – and I’ll pass along a pair of United Club passes to one lucky commenter in return.