Over 80 Free Walking Tours Around The Globe

As I’m starting to get [budget-friendly] ideas for my Istanbul trip in November, I came across a great list of free walking tours across the world. All of these tours are given for free by knowledgeable local tour guides, and participants can tip or make a donation in whatever amount they think is appropriate. It’s a great way to get a taste of a city as the locals see it. My dad recently posted about his budget Buenos Aires trip, where he took advantage of the BA Free Tour and had a fantastic experience.

Sorted by city name:

Have you participated in any of these free tours before? If so, feel free to share your experiences!

Comments

1. Ric Garrido says

San Francisco City Guides is a good program. I have attended the tour of the Starwood Luxury Collection Palace Hotel a couple of times.

Chicago also offers city tours. I attended an architecture tour there in 2010 where a retired teacher took three of us from downtown TheLoop around the city for about five hours. The city even coverd the CTA tickets for the day.

2. IMH says

The Mumbai link is to a page saying that someone was planning to start a walking tour back in October 2010. Do you have information that it actually started and is still going, or have you just copied this list from somewhere else without checking anything? Thanks.

3. Wendy says

I had a lovely experience with Paris Greeters, a volunteer organization that will customize a walking tour around your needs. Like most, a donation is appreciated.

4. says

Glad to see some of you have tried a free tour before! I’m excited to do so in Istanbul :)

IMH: the list was sent to me by a tour guide actually. She compiled a list of similar tours to hers that her paricipants have recommended. I’m sorry the Mumbai tour site does not include updated information :-/. Try reaching out to them via email and see if they are still active. I’ll go ahead and modify the list. Thanks for pointing that out! :)

5. adam says

Thanks Angelina! I’ve done the Belgrade, Ljubljana, Porto, Sevilla, and Tallinn tours and would highly recommend all of them. The guides were great on all of them. The Belgrade, Ljubljana, and Tallinn tours all continued at least 30-45 minutes past the 2 hour blocked time.

6. says

I can only speak for the Sandeman tours (New Amsterdam, New Berlin, New Prague, etc.) and they’re great. I’ve been on them in several cities throughout Europe.

7. Somsubhra Maity says

This is awesome Angelina, thanks! My girlfriend and I are visiting Peru later this year and this seems like just out kind of thing.

8. Explore says

Great post! I’m a San Francisco City Guide, one of around 250, and have led the Gold Rush City tour on certain Sundays for 17 years.

9. Explore says

@Ric, all the Chicago tours I know of cost $, including Chicago Neighborhood Tours and the Chicago Architecture Foundation’s long-running series. They’re worth it though.

10. says

I also do free walking tours of New Orleans. Check out my webpage…nolatourguy.com I also blog about New Orleans history and I’m well rated on trip advisor. Thanks!

11. says

Hey there,

Can you add Tours4tips.com for our free tours in Santiago, Chile and also in Valparaiso, Chile?

Thanks!